Return to search

Clarion hires Bergwall from Allianz

The executive recently left his post as Allianz Real Estate of America’s interim CEO.

Clarion Partners, the New York-based real estate investment manager, has poached Eric Bergwall from Allianz Real Estate of America, the American real estate investment arm of the European financial services company.

Bergwall joins the firm, which manages about $38.2 billion in assets, as managing director in the separate account portfolio management group, Clarion said Tuesday.

He spent more than four years at Allianz Real Estate of America, where he was most recently the interim chief executive officer, managing director and head of portfolio management. At Allianz, Bergwall first led the loan origination group, increasing originations by more than $400 million annually. By the end of his tenure at the firm, he oversaw a real estate portfolio of $8 billion in debt and $2 billion in equity, and he co-chaired the debt investment committee.

“Eric has built a long and successful track record and has a deep understanding of real estate investment management,” said David Gilbert, Clarion’s president and chief investment officer, in a statement.

Bergwall joins Clarion as the firm’s majority owner is looking to sell its stake in the company. Lightyear Capital, which acquired a 75 percent interest in Clarion from Dutch financial services company ING Group in June 2011 for approximately $100 million, is believed to be sounding out bids for its investment, PERE reported last week. Clarion’s management team owns the other 25 percent and is not thought to be looking to sell its interest.